These cap figures are courtesy of the Giants' Team Salary Cap page from OverTheCap.com run by Jason Fitzgerald (he can be followed on Twitter @Jason_OTC). The only player that he and I differed on cap number-wise was DT Markus Kuhn, who spent a large chunk of time this season on the PUP List. I have since corrected this discrepancy on my end, and replaced my incorrect cap number for Kuhn with Jason's (my mistake had to do with the number of weeks Kuhn's salary split was initially counted; see the update at the bottom of this article for an explanation).
Currently, the Giants have 73 players who count towards their adjusted salary cap total of $124,049,396 for the 2013 season, not counting the estimated Dead Money total of $9,016,510 for this season, which I wrote about five days ago (click HERE to read that article). The 73 player breakdown is as follows:
- the players on the 53-man roster.
- the 12 players currently on Injured Reserve.
- the players on the 8-man Practice Squad.
Keep in mind that only a few of these 73 players have cap numbers that are equivalent to their salaries for the 2013 season. As a matter of fact, about only 34% of them do. Many fans often confuse a player's salary with his cap number. The two are not the same. Players who have signed one-year contracts, non-vested veterans (those with less than 4 accrued seasons credited towards free agency) who went undrafted without receiving signing bonuses, and those who were cut at least one time prior to signing or re-signing with the Giants very often have cap numbers that are equivalent to their salaries. That's what these 25 players listed below have in common. They are as follows:
- 14 players on the 53-man roster:
- Andre Brown
- McKenna "Bear" Pascoe
- Keith Rivers
- Trumaine McBride
- Curtis Painter
- John Conner
- Allen Bradford
- Larry Donnell
- Will Hill
- Charles James
- Dallas Reynolds
- Stephen Goodin
- Marcus Dowtin
- Julian Talley
- 4 of the 12 players on season ending Injured Reserve:
- Stevie Brown
- Jim Cordle
- Kris Adams
- Da'Rel Scott
- 7 of the 8 players on the Practice
- The only one whose cap number isn't the same as his salary in this category is OG Eric Herman.
- Herman was drafted by the Giants this year in the 7th round, and received a signing bonus before being cut, clearing waivers, and then being re-signed by the Giants again as a member of their Practice Squad.
Here are the cap numbers for all players on the 53-man roster:
- Note: players whose cap numbers are shaded in gray on these lists have cap numbers that are equivalent to their salaries for the 2013 season.
Here is the positional breakdown for the players on the 53-man roster:
Next, here are the cap numbers for all 12 players on season ending Injured Reserve:
Finally, here is the list of cap numbers for all players on the 8-man Practice Squad:
**NOTE**: UPDATE - 7:40 pm ET, Dec. 21, 2013
I corrected an error I made with respect to calculating Markus Kuhn's cap number. It should be listed as Jason Fitzgerald has it: $429,003. I had his cap number incorrectly listed as being $418,592. My error was in calculating when the split rate of $303,000 stopped being in effect. I should have ended after week 6. Instead, I miscalculated, and had it end after week 7. The full rate of $480,000 kicked in as soon as Kuhn started practicing with the 53-man roster again in week 7. I was off by 1 week in my calculations. It was a careless error on my part.